Thursday, September 13, 2012

FOOD: "Mini Food Trip" in Baguio

I went to Baguio with the fam bam a couple of weeks of ago. My parents had some ministry work to do and of course, my siblings and I were more than glad to tag along. My sister, Bia was excited about the numerous ukay-ukay (thrift) stores, my brother, well he just likes the idea of a long drive & sleeping in a hotel, while I on the other hand, was particularly excited about the food!

I made a list of places I wanted to eat in, but sadly, it was rainy when we were there so I was only able to try out a couple of them. Hence, the use of "mini" in the entry title. Haha! But nevertheless, let me share some of the things I ate, what I thought about 'em & where to eat 'em.


Vizco's Restaurant & Cake Shop

8GF Puso ng Baguio Building Session Road, Baguio City
M-TH: 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
F-S: 7:00 am - 11:00 pm
SUN: 7:00 am - 10:00 pm



I've been to Baguio a lot of times already but only got the chance to eat at Vizco's during our recent trip. The place was small yet clean & chic. Really loved the wall details by long couch seating! The restaurant automatically gave me a feel of Conti's when I sat down & saw people eating cake. Hahaha!  

Garlic & Cheese Pizza
The Garlic & Cheese Pizza was good! It was served hot, the crust was soft & chewy, cheese was not compromised and the garlic was not overpowering. 

Garlic & Sundried Tomato Pasta
Garlic + olive oil + basil + sundried tomatoes. This was just heaven for me! All of my favorite ingredients in one dish! It's definitely a must-try! Really good. 

Sugar-Free Mango Cheesecake
I was not so happy about the Sugar-Free Mango Cheesecake. Though it's expected to be on the not-so-sweet-side, for me, it lacked creaminess, richness which I always look for in a cheesecake. It was so-so for me. 

Strawberry Shortcake
The reason why I wanted to eat at Vizco's was particularly because of their famous Strawberry Shortcake, but sad to say, it fell short of my expectation. Vizco's Strawberry Cake patrons, please don't hate me. Haha! But don't get me wrong, it looked really pretty & was also yummy, not too sweet, not too tart, but I guess I just expected more from it. I would still eat it again though. :) 

Overall, I would recommend eating at Vizco's. Good food at reasonable prices. It's definitely worth a try!


O' Mai Khan

12 Otek Street, Rizal Park, Baguio City


If you think that O' Mai Khan's named after the Mongolian warrior & conqueror Genghis Khan, then you're right...sort of. 

We were told that "O' Mai Khan" actually came from an Ilokano phrase, "umay kan" which literally means "come on". So basically, they're inviting you to come on and eat at their restaurant. Interesting, huh? Mga Pilipino nga naman o. Hahaha! But it was still aptly named after the Mongolian ruler cos they served Mongolian rice bowls (and a la carte items too).  The place was very spacious & al fresco. 

O' Mai Khan
We're fans of Mongolian rice bowls (though we barely put any rice in it) so that's what we all got. Php 250.00 for unlimited serving of meat, veggies & sauces from their selection. Really affordable! Food was okay but I can't say that it's the Mongolian rice bowl buffet I've tried. Plus, they served barely cooked liver to my mom. Minus points. 

Mongolian Rice Bowl Buffet Selection
Despite of the raw liver incident, I think O' Mai Khan's still worth a try. Next time, I'd choose something from the menu  though. Some of it seemed pretty tasty.


Hill Station

Casa Vallejo, Upper Session Road, Baguio City


We were checked in at the historical Casa Vallejo (no, there were no ghosts), and little did I know that beneath us was one of Asia's best restaurants. "No wonder why the place is so nice!" Haha! Silly me.

Hill Station
We were already full by the time we got back at the hotel so we just had dessert. We had the Ice Cream Palette and the Dark Chocolate cake.

Ice Cream Palette
Tried the Hill Station Ice Cream Palette Sampler for Php 150.00 only! They had quite a number of flavors on the menu but only had three available when we ate there. :( But nevertheless, it was so good! Oh, did I mention that they make their ice cream from scratch? Read that they have an amazing chef who's also behind the famous Antonio's.

I wasn't able to take a clear photo of the Dark Chocolate cake so I won't be posting it anymore. Haha! It really had that dark chocolate taste, but I think a tad bit more of sweetness would've made it even better.

I highly recommend Hill Station. The ambiance is perfect! Perfect place to celebrate special occasions or if you just want to eat somewhere extra special. I can't wait to go back and try out their entrees! 


Oh My Gulay

5/F La Azotea Building, Session Road, Baguio City


Right before heading back to Manila, we stopped by Oh My Gulay for some hot drinks. 

OMG
Oh My Gulay's owned by the artist, Kidlat Tahimik so don't be surprised to find different art pieces around the cafe.

View from the tree house-ish "ship"

Toilet Seat...Chair?
An interesting art piece which I find rather gross. And no, thank you. I'd pass on sitting on that chair. Hahaha!

Creepy

Next time you visit Baguio, don't forget to go to Oh My Gulay. It's definitely worth a visit! Really interesting.

*** 

So that goes for my recent Baguio food trip & my first ever real blog entry! Wuhoo! May this be the start! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment